His father was a Deputy in the Staveley Company Coal Mines and the family moved to the Blocks and then to Cavendish Place in Barrow Hill.
In 1891, Isaac is described as a Foundry Stores Clerk. By 1911, the family had moved to Albion Street, Staveley, where Isaac was a shop-keeper.
For over fifty years, Isaac Samuel was a “faithful and devoted” servant of the Church in Barrow Hill, both at the Church Mission in the school and at the new St Andrew’s building.
He had been a leading member of the Building Committee and was respected for “his utterly selfless devotion in his personal life as a Communicant, his work in the Sunday School and as a Lay Reader, and his unfailing tenderness and help in his almost daily work among the sick and the poor.”
He had also served on the Parish Council and the Board of Management of the Day Schools.
When he died in 1929, Father Norfar launched a public appeal for funds for a permanent memorial to be placed in the church. It was decided that a stained glass window, costing £180, would be a fitting memorial and serve as a reminder to future generations of “that life and work that is the memory of those of the present and the past.”
The window depicts St Nicholas, the patron saint of children and sailors and was made and inscribed by “William Morris and Co, Westminster.” There is also a silver chalice in the church that was purchased in his memory.
© Ann Lucas