By 1881, he is listed as a boarder, aged 16, working as a Railway Clerk in Derby.
In August 1888, he “came out of college as a Deacon” and was appointed to Barrow Hill and Handley where he was the driving force behind the building of St Andrew’s Church and where he served for the next 28 years.
A keen amateur archaeologist with an interest in natural history, Rev Coleman was described by Dr Arthur Court as a “well-known local antiquary.” He also researched the origins of local field names and the extent of the deer park which once existed in the parish of Staveley.
Rev Coleman left the area in 1917 to become the Rector of Wingerworth where he served until 1936.
© Ann Lucas