Richard Barrow Senior (1747-1838) was educated at St John’s College, Cambridge and ordained as a Church of England priest in 1770. Having served as a curate in Beverley and Kirkburn, he was appointed to the position of Vicar Choral at Southwell in 1774, a post he continued to hold for sixty four years. In addition to this position, Rev. Barrow also held five livings which brought him an income of a further £452 per year, enough to support a gentleman.
Richard’s younger brother, William Barrow (1754-1836), was ordained in 1780 and became the Vicar-General of Southwell in 1821 and Archdeacon of Nottingham in 1830. He married Elizabeth Probyn, the daughter of John Probyn, M.P. for Wiltshire, in 1791.
Richard (Senior) married Mary Hodgkinson, the daughter of a Southwell attorney, in 1778 and the couple had nine children:
A Southwell solicitor, George married the widowed Elizabeth Mather Lowe in 1805. Elizabeth’s father, Walter Mather, had been the proprietor of the Staveley Forge and Iron Works since 1783 and left Staveley to his sons-in-law when he died in 1796.
When her first husband, Edward Lowe, died in 1800, Elizabeth had directed the business in partnership with her brother-in-law, William Ward.
George took over the ground leases from the Duke of Devonshire in 1815 and assumed sole responsibility for the works. His son, Richard Bridgman Barrow, was a J.P. who lived at Sydnope Hall, near Matlock.
George Hodgkinson Barrow built Ringwood Hall, which was completed in 1830.
Mary Anne Barrow (1780 – 1868)
Mary married the Rev. William Lawson at Southwell in 1817.
Arabella Barrow (1782 – 1850)
Arabella never married and lived with her brother William.
William Hodgson Barrow (1784-1876)
William practised as an attorney from 1806 to 1833 and was the Conservative M.P. for South Nottinghamshire from 1851 to 1874.
He was a Fellow of the Royal Agricultural Society, the Royal Botanic Society, and the Archaeological Society and was a Deputy Lieutenant, a J.P. and High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1845. He died unmarried at the age of 91.
John Barrow (1790-1871)
After making his fortune trading as a merchant with his brother Richard, John retired, a rich man, to his estate at Normanton Hall, Southwell in 1840. Burke describes his family as “landed gentry.” His son, John James Jerome Barrow was born in Spain and was a Director of the Staveley Coal and Iron Co. His grandson, John Burton Barrow married Helen MacFarlane, daughter of the Rector of Staveley, and was a mining engineer who lived for a time at Ringwood Hall.
Rev James Barrow (1793-1881)
Educated at, and a fellow of, St Johns College, Cambridge, James was the Rector of South Lopham in Norfolk; a living in the gift of his brother George. He married Louisa, daughter of Sir Charles Ware Malet in 1824. His son –in –law, George Darby, and grandsons were also clergymen of the Church of England.
Elizabeth Bullen Barrow (1797 – 1797)
Elizabeth died as an infant.
Sutton Bullen Barrow (1798 – 1875)
Sutton never married and lived in Southwell with her butler and servants.