In 1906, the Staveley Coal and Iron Company acquired a 99 year lease on some 67 acres of pasture land adjoining Barrow Hill station and adjacent to the old works. This was to be the site of the new Devonshire Works which would provide employment for an additional thousand men and cottages were to be built for these employees overlooking the development.
In July 1907, the Derbyshire Courier reported that the cottages were then under construction and articles from local newspapers show that people were living there in 1908.
The “Devonshire” was built in two long rows of terraced blocks. There were five blocks of eight cottages and one block of four cottages to each row; a total of eighty eight cottages. These were the homes of the men mainly employed as labourers at the new works.
These photographs of the Devonshire Cottages were taken in 1968 and are the work of photographer Tony Othen. Please do not copy for commercial purposes.
Beyond the rows were eight semi-detached villas, built as homes for the foremen, and Devonshire House, the home of Thomas Smales, the engineer.
Over the railway bridge were four larger semi-detached villas which were built at a later date (after the 1911 England census).
Devonshire Cottages: 1911 England Census
|Devonshire Villas||Devonshire House|
© Ann Lucas
Please contact us if you have any further information, photographs or corrections to add to this article.