In the first half of the 19th century, a few cottages already existed close to the area’s collieries and Iron Works. What is now Barrow Hill was then described as the “Iron Works,” or “Staveley Forge” in census and parish records.
The 1841 Census area covered “That part of Staveley known by the name of Handley Wood, Hollingwood Common, the Iron Works, Canal Row, the Breck, White Lodge, Inkersall and Inkersall Green.”
The oldest property in the area was a Jacobean house, built at some time between 1567 and 1625. When Walter Mather took over the Staveley Forge and Furnace in 1783, he demolished the old furnace and built a new one. “It was probably at this time that the old Staveley corn mill was cleared away, so that the only relic of the earlier enterprise was a rather handsome stone Jacobean country house. Successive Staveley ironmasters occupied the house down to the middle of the 19th Century, and it survived long enough to be photographed in 1906.” (Stanley Chapman: Business history of Stanton and Staveley).
Built at sometime prior to 1835, the Canal Tavern was situated at a right angle to Canal Row on the north side of the canal. It closed for the last time on 4th April 1963.
The Cottage was the home of works managers. It was also known locally as “Baker’s House” and the “White House.”
A condition of the lease granted to George Hodgkinson Barrow, by the Duke of Devonshire in the early 1840’s, was that cottages would be built for the workers. The 1851 census included his new dwellings at Furnace Hill, Cavendish Place, Devonshire Terrace, Railway Terraces and Handley Wood.
© Ann Lucas
If you can add to this history with information, photographs or corrections, please get in touch via our contacts page.